Ok, so I thought while I was waiting for the PUP covers to age with my little UV experiment, I would try my hand at relicing the back of a guitar neck with shoe polish. I wanted that real aged look to the sanded parts, specifically on this post, the back of the neck, and the only thing I could think of that would do the job was shoe polish of all things.
Here’s a video explaining what I am doing and a small sample of the result. Sorry about the dodgy recording, I am filming straight from my laptop and I am finding it really hard to get a decent shot while I am working and filming at the same time….
Ok, so the aging plastic guitar parts with UV light experiment is now in its third day and I have to say that I am not liking the results at all.
I think the UV torch is grossly underpowered and not doing nearly the job I thought it would, I also think the batteries are running out of steam quicker than I would like
So I decided, instead of waiting for the end of the week to try plan B, as I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I would go to the next phase of my little experiment now, and go for the more powerful UV globe in the lamp.
Before I show you the video and pics of my little upgrade, here are the third day pics of the cover using the UV torch. I must admit, I am seeing some change, but only slight variations.
In this first pic the one that has had the little tanning session is on the top…
Aging Plastic Guitar Parts with UV Light – Day Three
Ok, so it’s the second day of my little experiment where I am trying my hand at aging plastic guitar parts using UV light, and to be honest folks, I am still not seeing any noticeable differences.
I took a couple of pics under different lighting to try to get a good perspective and see if the angle of the light hitting the pick-up covers made a difference, but honestly, if there is a difference I can’t see it.
In my last Relic Project post where I tried for the third time to relic a maple fretboard, I mentioned I was going to try aging plastic guitar parts, more specifically, some spare pick up covers I had lying around, using a UV light.
About 16 hours has passed since starting my little experiment so I thought I would check to see; 1: If the batteries were still working, and 2: If there was any noticeable change in the color of the plastic cover.
So on first inspection I noticed that the batteries were all but dead, they had a little bit of life left in them but I doubt whether they were being at all effective.
and to be honest, I couldn’t really see by my eyes any real noticeable difference. I think (I say that reservedly) there might be the slightest of coloring but I can’t honestly give a conclusive answer just yet.
Here’s the pics…
The cover on the right is the one that has been exposed to the UV light for the past 16 hours or so.
Ok, so I managed to get a spare ten minutes today to have another go at relicing a maple fretboard, hopefully this is a case of third time lucky.
On this third attempt to relic the fret board of my Aria pro II Strikin sounds, I decided to persist with using the acetone solvent to remove the stained lacquer, which will ultimately make the wear marks on the fretboard, but this time I went a step further than my last effort when I tried using the Rag dipped in acetone to using some cotton buds dipped in Acetone.
I found the cotton buds gave me more control over where I could apply the acetone, therefor helping to shape the wear marks more effectively.
Here’s the video… Oh, but before you watch the video I also mention in the video that I am trying a little experiment, which is using a UV light to help age the plastic parts. There are some pics below the video that will show you my little experiment.
So I finally got a chance to start relicing the fret board on my Aria Pro II Strikin Sounds.
This first attempt at relicing a maple fretboard, I am sorry to say, failed miserably. You can see in this video every step and detail of my first ever attempt at making relic style fingermarks on a maple neck.
Here’s the next step in my little Relic Project that I am currently undertaking. In this video I share how I am going to sand the poly finish off the back of the neck of my Aria Pro II Strikin Sounds, which is a 1980ish made in Japan copy of a 1954 Fender Stratocaster.
Ever since starting this site I have been busy thinking of a really cool logo, and I gotta tell you it’s not an easy job. Especially when your not artistically minded.
Initially I tried to hire a graphic expert to create a really cool design, but unfortunately, because I had no real clue as to what I wanted, it’s kinda hard to get something you like when you don’t know what it is your after.
So after trying a few online freelancers, I thought I would enlist the help of an old friend of mine, Timbo. Timbo is an old stonemason and surfing buddy of mine from yeas ago, he used to do all of the artwork on my boards, which was some of the coolest looking retro art you will ever see.
Anyways, here’s a couple of the samples he provided, remembering I told him I had no idea of what I wanted, all I said was I wanted something cool and something a bit old school.
Now to be honest, I wasn’t overly fused about these first two….
Doing a Relic on a guitar is something I have been wanting to do for some time, I have finally bit the bullet and decided the Ari Pro II Striking Sounds is going to be my guinea pig.
Here’s a short video I did this morning while at work, explaining why I decided to use this guitar for this particular relic project.
I know a lot of these relics you see can look either really good or really, really bad, I am hoping that I can do a half decent job on his one so I don’t have to hang my head in shame every time some one asks about the guitar in question. Continue reading →